As the most populous city in Australia, it's no surprise that Melbourne is also one of the most popular places to live. And with its bustling metropolis and charming suburbs, it's easy to see why. But as housing prices continue to rise, many residents are finding themselves priced out of the market. That's where second storey home extensions come in.
Not only do they provide much-needed extra space, but they also add significant value to your property. And with the average cost of a second storey extension being reasonable, they're a great option for those looking to add value to their home without breaking the bank.
If you live in Melbourne and are considering a second storey extension, there are a few things you need to know. In this guide, we'll take you through the process of planning and building a second storey extension, as well as some of the benefits and drawbacks to be aware of.
The differnce in price per square metre is marginal, with double-storey homes typically only costing around 5-10% more to build than single-storey homes. however building a double storey has it's own advanatges;
There are many benefits to adding a second storey extension to your home. These include:
* Adding value to your property: A second storey extension can add significant value to your home, making it a great investment.
* Extra space: A second storey extension provides much-needed extra space, whether you're looking for an extra bedroom, bathroom or just some extra living space.
* Increased privacy: With a second storey extension, you'll enjoy increased privacy as your home will be set back from the street.
* Better views: If you're lucky enough to have a second storey extension with a view, you'll be able to enjoy some of Melbourne's best views.
Of course, there are also some drawbacks to building a second storey extension. These include:
* increased costs: As mentioned above, a second storey extension will typically cost 5-10% more than a single storey extension.
* increased noise: With an extra storey comes extra noise, so if you're looking for a quiet and peaceful home, a second storey extension may not be for you.
* more complex construction: A second storey extension is a more complex build than a single storey extension, so you'll need to make sure you have a experienced and reputable builder on board.
In Melbourne, you will need planning permission for a second storey extension if it meets any of the following criteria;
* The height of the proposed extension is more than 3.5 metres above natural ground level at any point.
* The proposed extension will result in the total height of the building being more than 9 metres above natural ground level.
* The proposed extension will result in the building being closer than 9 metres to any boundary.
* The proposed extension will result in the floor area of the building being more than 50% of the total land area.
If your extension does not meet any of the above criteria, you may still need planning permission depending on your property's location or zoning. make sure to check with your local council to see if you need planning permission for your proposed extension.
A builder experienced in second storey extensions will be able to advise you on the feasibility of your project and help you navigate the planning process. They will also be able to manage the construction of your extension from start to finish, ensuring that it is built to a high standard and meets all relevant regulations.
When choosing a builder for your second storey extension, it's important to choose one with a good reputation and plenty of experience in this type of project. Make sure to get quotes from a few different builders before making your final decision.
Floor plans will be a critical part of the planning process for your second storey extension. They will help you to visualise the finished product and ensure that your builder understands your vision for the project.
When creating floor plans for your second storey extension, make sure to consider how the extra space will be used and how it will flow from one room to another. You should also think about the orientation of the rooms and how they will work with the existing layout of your home.
If you're not sure where to start, there are plenty of floor plan software programs available online that can help you to create professional-looking plans. Alternatively, you can hire an architect or designer to create plans for you.
Two-storey homes are often more energy efficient than their single-storey counterparts. This is because they have less external wall area, which means they lose less heat in winter and gain less heat in summer.
They also tend to have better natural ventilation, as the upper floors are usually cooler than the lower floors. This can help to reduce your energy bills and make your home more comfortable to live in.
a second storey extension could be a creative way to add extra space and value to your home. Here are some popular ideas in Merbourne;
* A parents retreat: Adding an extra bedroom and bathroom upstairs could create the perfect space for a parents retreat. This would be a great place to relax and unwind away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
* An extra living room: If you have a growing family, you may want to consider adding an extra living room upstairs. This would be a great place for the kids to play or for the family to spend time together.
* A home office: An extra room upstairs could also be the perfect space for a home office. This would allow you to work from home without being disturbed by the noise of daily life.
* A guest bedroom: Adding a guest bedroom upstairs could be a great way to accommodate visitors. This would also be a convenient place for out-of-town family members to stay when they come to visit.
If you're looking for a way to add an extra room to your home without the hassle of a traditional extension, then prefabricated second storey extensions could be the perfect solution. Prefabricated second storey extensions are made off-site in a factory and then delivered to your home for installation. This can save you time and money, as well as disruption to your home life.
There are a number of different prefabricated second storey extension options available, such as adding an extra room, a parents retreat, or a home office. You can also choose from a variety of different designs and materials to suit your needs. you could customise your extension to match the existing style of your home.
the downside of prefabricated second storey extensions is that they can be more expensive than traditional extensions. However, they are often more energy-efficient and can be completed in a shorter time frame. If you're considering a prefabricated extension, make sure to compare the costs and build durtions with the traditional extension method before committing.
There are a number of different factors to consider when deciding whether or not to add a second storey extension to your home. These include the cost, the build duration, the disruption to your home life, and the energy-efficiency of the extension. However, if you choose wisely, a second storey extension can be a great way to add extra space and value to your home. SD built is a Melbourne-based company specialising in the design and construction of second storey extensions. contact us to get a consultation of your home extension project. thanks for reading.